Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
2021 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Award**PLEASE NOTE: The Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Award is still in the review process. We will announce the winners as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.**
Alpha Omega Alpha is honored to announce the 2020 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Awardees. The award is given to encourage medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine. The winning essays will be published in the Autumn 2020 edition of The Pharos.
First Prize— “If Dementia Comes for Me” by David Ney, Sidney Kimmel Medical College
Second Prize—“Just the Honey” by Gillian Stein, New York University School of Medicine
Third Prize—“Hair and Its Stories” by Jesse Persily, New York University School of Medicine
Congratulations to all.
To encourage medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine. Publication of winning essays in The Pharos.
Cash awards of $1,500 for first place, $1,000 for second place, and $850 for third place.
Authors must be enrolled in medical schools that have an active ΑΩΑ Chapter or Association but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. However, if the author is an AΩA member, he/she must be an active member. Only one entry may be submitted per student.
Entries must be submitted using the Online Submission link below, no later than January 19, 2021. Winners will be announced May 14, 2021.
- Essays must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must be an original work.
- The essay must be related to medicine.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. The author’s name and essay title must be on each page, and all pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, should be limited to 20. (Reference citation of a website is not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.)
- The paper must not be offered to, or published by, any other journal or entered in any other contest prior to submission or during, the AΩA selection process. Essays that are not selected as award recipients may be submitted to other contests/publications after the winners are announced on May 14, 2021.
- Essays not meeting all requirements will not be considered.
Questions may be directed to Libby Appel at 720-859-4149, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit an Essay for Consideration
Beginning August 1, 2019 all AΩA awards, fellowships, grants, and program submissions must be electronically submitted through the appropriate page on the AΩA website.
Updated on May 18, 2021.