Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter member's last name to search
2014 Pharos Poetry Competition
To encourage medical students to write effective poetry using imagery and rhythm or rhyme to structure the poem. See "What Poetry Does" for more help in writing effective poetry.
$500 first; $250 second; $100 third, honorable mention $75.
Authors must be enrolled at medical schools with active AΩA chapters or associations (Class of 2014 or later), but need not be members of AΩA.Only one entry may be submitted by each student.
Entries must be sent by online form no later than November 30, 2013, PST. Winners will be announced about April 1, 2014.
- Poems must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work. Only one poem may be submitted to the competition per author.
- The poem may be on any subject related to medicine.
- The poem must be single spaced, single column, and not exceed two pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins. The author's name and poem title must be on each page, and pages must be numbered.
- The poem must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest and must be submitted to The Pharos, the official publication of AΩA, which has the right of first refusal.
- The poem must be sent by online application
- Poems not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the poems and select the winners.
Poems not accepted for The Pharos but published elsewhere should include the following acknowledgment:
Submitted as an entry in the 2014 Pharos Poetry Competition.
Submit a Poem for Consideration
© 2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society