Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter member's last name to search
2013 Medical Student Service Leadership Project Award
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to preparing future leaders in medicine and health care. Leadership is about making a positive difference. Leadership is learned through education, observation, and experience, and working with leader mentors. Service learning may develop an excellent opportunity for students to develop as servant leaders. The most effective leaders are well grounded in and committed to positive professional values.
To support leadership development for medical students through mentoring, observation, and service learning.
Amount of Award
$5000 for the first year, $3000 for the second year, $1000 for the third year
- A team of students at a school with an AΩA chapter. AΩA members serving as team leaders will be given priority.
- Proposals with matching institutional or dean's funds will be given priority.
- Only one proposal may be submitted for each institution for each three years of funding. Applications must be for new projects with the potential to generate future support from the medical school or other sources, not supplemental funding for existing programs. A new component of an existing program may be eligible.
- AΩA faculty mentor(s) and team of students with designated leaders
- Regular team meetings with the mentor related to leadership, service, and reflection
- A service learning project for an underserved population, e.g., the indigent, immigrants, homeless, etc., or a service project related to professionalism in the school, hospital, or clinics
- A description about how the program, mentor, and service learning experience will teach leadership
- Submission of an annual progress report for each year and a final report to the AΩA national office upon completion of the third year.
- Funding for the second and third years is contingent on acceptance of the report for the previous year's work.
Dates for application
|12/31/2012||Application to the AΩA councilor|
|1/31/2013||Application from the AΩA councilor to the AΩA national office|
|2/28/2013||AΩA national office announces awards|
|2/28/2014||Project completion and progress report to the national office, including budget|
|2/28/2015||Second-year progress report (+ budget)|
|2/28/2016||Third-year progress report (+ budget)|
Application to the councilor
The councilor and his or her selection committee will choose the proposal judged to be the most promising and with a high probability of first year completion during the subsequent year:
- A three-page description of the project with a detailed budget written by the applicant. Details of the role of the students in project preparation and execution must be provided.
- Description of the team and team leaders and leadership components
- Description of AΩA chapter role in project, if applicable
- Description of the role of the faculty mentor(s)/advisor(s) and leadership curriculum for the students
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor that indicates his or her commitment of time and interest to the project, the student, and leadership development
- Faculty mentor biosketch (3-4 pages)
- Completed application form with checklist (Download the announcement and checklist)
Application to the national office
The proposal selected by the councilor's selection committee must be sent to the national office, and must include, in addition to the items included in the submission to the councilor:
- A letter of endorsement from the AΩA councilor
- A dean's endorsement that should comment on the student's achievements and potential and the suitability of the faculty sponsor for mentoring.
- Optional: Commitment of matching funds by the dean or school. (Enhances competitiveness of proposal.)
Two hard copies must arrive at the national office no later than January 31, 2013. E-mail submissions will not be accepted. Incomplete applications will be rejected.Other important information
The award will be paid to the sponsoring institution. Complete payee information will be required when the application is approved.More information
Contact Candice Cutler at 650 329-0291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society