Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
The Pharos Poetry Award
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society is pleased to announce the winners of The Pharos Poetry Award. Out of 142 submissions, the following were selected as the 3 winners:
First Place—Dissection Manual by Irtiqa Fazili, University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
Second Place—Anatomy of the Physician by Mark Rudolf, University of Virginia School of Medicine
Third Place—My Mother's Hands by Gabrielle Espiritu, Louisiana State University School of Medicine at New Orleans
The winner's poems will be published in the summer edition of The Pharos. Congratulations to all.
To encourage medical students to write meaningful poetry related to health or medicine.
Cash awards of $600 for first place, $350 for second place, and $200 for third place will be given out to three students. The three selected entries will be published in The Pharos.
Authors must be enrolled in medical schools with active ΑΩΑ Chapters or associations, but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. However, if an applicant is a member of AΩA, he/she must have active status. Only one entry per student.
Entries must be submitted online no later than January 4, 2019. Winners will be announced April 5, 2019. Winning poets must submit a W-9 form prior to the issuance of the award check.
- Poems must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work.
- The poem may be on any subject related to health or medicine.
- The poem must be single spaced, single column, and not exceed two pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins.
- Please do not include any images or special formatting with the poem.
- The poem must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest and must be submitted to The Pharos, the official publication of ΑΩΑ, which has the right of first refusal.
- The poem must be submitted on the online form through the AΩA web site.
- Poems not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the poems and select the winners.
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
Please contact Libby Appel at email@example.com
Submit a Poem for Consideration
Updated on September 21, 2018.