Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
Past Visiting Professors:
To encourage clinicians to participate in new opportunities to educate students, residents and fellow clinicians.
Any medical school with an active AΩA Chapter may host one visiting professor during each academic year and all such approved visits will be funded by the AΩA National Office. Information pertaining to the visit should be submitted online at least six weeks in advance of the visit on the AΩA website at: alphaomegaalpha.org/professor_visit_1.php. No nominations will be accepted in July.
Requirements for the Visit
- The visiting professor will provide one full day, or more, of teaching and interacting with students, residents, and faculty.
- The event should be titled the “AΩA Visiting Professorship,” and included on all posters, announcements, press releases and other collateral related to the visit.
- The AΩA Chapter must submit an itinerary for the visit and activities to the National office within 30 days of the visit.
Required Activities of the Visiting Professor
- Clinical and/or rounds, research discussions, teaching conferences or seminars;
- One or more sessions on leadership and/or medical professionalism;
- Departmental Grand Rounds; and/or
- A major address to the medical school community, or presentation at the annual AΩA banquet.
Organization and Arrangements
The AΩA Councilor, in consultation with the Chapter’s student members and other members of the faculty, must select the visiting professor at least six weeks before the event. The Councilor provides the following information online to the National Office:
- Dates of the visit, proposed schedule and professor’s contact information
- Visiting professor’s name, title, affiliation, full address, phone number, E-mail address, and assistant’s contact information
Submit Visiting Professor Information
Funds provided by the AΩA national office include:
- Coach airfare and/or standard ground transportation;
- Standard hotel room for one or two nights;
- Visiting professor’s meals, exclusive of official functions planned and funded by the Chapter or school; and
- Honorarium of $1,500. The visiting professor may forgo the honorarium in which case it will be donated to the hosting chapter. If the visiting professor choses to accept the honorarium, he/she must submit a W-9 form to the National Office. In addition, if the visiting professor is an AΩA member, he/she must have active status to be eligible to receive the honorarium.
Expenses expected to exceed the usual for the above items must be approved by the National office before the visit.
Direct requests to Libby Appel or call (720) 859-4149.
Expense reimbursement requests must be submitted by the visiting professor on the expense form received in the confirmation e-mail within 60 days. AΩA will reimburse the individual or institution that expended the funds, but cannot make direct payments to vendors.
Requests for expense reimbursement must be submitted using the AΩA Expense Reimbursement form.
Updated on February 15, 2019.